Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection errors after fixing corrupt database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam6371

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2010
US
Hello,
We have recently had our Brightstor database become corrupt (i know... what a surprise), and were not able to get any backups to even start. I went through and performed a dbdefrag, dbfix, and keybuild on all of the databases. Now, it is able to log into the DB, find the media, and perform the backup. However, when it gets to backing up Exchange, we receive a lot of errors even though it backs everything up.

Upon starting the Exchange backup portion, we receive this error in the Job Log:
E8523
Failed to send data to the client agent. (EC=-1)
N8640
dbaexchis Version 11.1 Build 3200 12-13-2003 Microsoft Exchange Server 2K/up
N8653
Converting connection protocol to named pipes due to connection error

At the same time, these are the errors that appear in the Universal Agent log file on the Exchange Server:
12/06/10 9:46:55 Set Stop Event.
12/06/10 9:46:55 [UDP] Failed to initialize communication object. RC = 1d012740, Error = 10048
12/06/10 9:46:56 Universal Agent awaiting connection.
12/06/10 9:47:21 Set Stop Event.
12/06/10 9:47:21 Unmap Done.
12/06/10 9:47:24 Set Stop Event.
12/06/10 9:47:24 [UDP] Failed to initialize communication object. RC = 1d012740, Error = 10048
12/06/10 9:47:25 Universal Agent awaiting connection.

A quick search for these errors gave me some information on increasing the send/receive timeout values to 3600, which i did complete. However, the problem still remains.

I have noticed that the Backup Agent Admin console on the Exchange server has a list of 10 connections that never get cleared out. Some of them completed 100%, and some didn't. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. I have included a screenshot of this also, as i want to provide as much information as possible. This thing is driving me insane! :)

Also, the version we are using is r11.1 (Build 3200).

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Adam

Probably unrelated to the DB problem.

There are two agents involved the Universal Agent & Exchange DB Agent.

Universal Agent maintains the connection and data transfer with the ARCserve Server.

Exchange DB Agent reads data from and writes data to the Exchange Server.

Stop restart the Client Agent service to clear the old connects.
After the next job ck to see if the connection stayed or was cleared.
Check the logs for both agents.

Thank you so much for the feedback, and explaining the differences between the two agents. I am still kind of new to this software.

Now that you have explained the differences in the way the two agents work, I am leaning towards the problem being with the Universal Agent. Mainly because stopping and starting the Client Agent services does not clear out the "stuck" connections, and the fact that the connection for the current backup that is running does not show in the list. Also, the agent is still able to backup all of the exchange files. It is just the connection error that I am getting that is causing the backup to fail or finish incomplete. Is it possible that there is a limit to the number of connections, and this is why I may be receiving the connection errors? If so, do you have any other advice on how I can go about clearing these "stuck" connections?

Again, I appreciate any help anyone is able to provide.

Thanks,
Adam

Well, not sure if this helps, but I received a different error in the Job Log, but the Universal Agent log errors remain the same...

Here is the new error in the job log right before it starts the exchange backup:
E8535
Failed to receive data from the client agent. (ADDRESS=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (SERVERNAME ( XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)), EC=10054, COMMAND=0)
N8640
dbaexchis Version 11.1 Build 3200 12-13-2003 Microsoft Exchange Server 2K/up
N8653
Converting connection protocol to named pipes due to connection error.

Here are the same errors that show in the Universal Agent log:
12/08/10 15:39:19 Set Stop Event.
12/08/10 15:39:20 Unmap Done.
12/08/10 15:39:45 Set Stop Event.
12/08/10 15:39:45 [UDP] Failed to initialize communication object. RC = 1d012740, Error = 10048
12/08/10 15:39:46 Universal Agent awaiting connection.

Try restarting the CA ARCserve Universal Agent Service (or something like it depending on the version) to see if that clears out the connections.

Debug is enabled via a registry setting.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ ComputerAssociates \ BrightStor ARCserve Backup \ UniversalClientAgent \ Parameters

Value name: Debug
Data Type: reg_dword
Data: 1
Output: univag.log

The Universal agent service has to be restarted for the change to take effect.

The error code is from the OS, means only process can use the same socket address. It might be a good time to check for an update to the NIC driver and the OS TCP/IP stack (just a thought), perhaps it will help prevent the problem. Also check the Windows Event Viewer System and Application logs on the chance something is getting reported there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back