Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection dropping too quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTang

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
TH
I've got a diamond supra 56K hooked to a Cobalt Qube2 (Linux OS). The modem connects fine but it drops the connection too quickly.

Is there a AT string that will help maintain the connection longer when the connection is idle?

Is there some sort of config file in Linux that can be modified to accomplish the same thing.

The country I'm in charges for each connection so the phone charges,just from dropping off and reconnecting, are costing more than the Internet charges.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Try S10=50S11=50
If it still drops off, increase the values.
They're in 10ths of a second, so 50=5 seconds.
255 is max, 256 is connected no matter what happens, and you won't be able to disconnect unless you shut the computer off. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Sorry for the slow reply but I had other matters to attend to.

I tried adding the S register command as you recommend but it doesn't seem to take. Is there a different proceedure due to the fact that it's a LINUX server?

The existing string is AT3XM0 which is defined as don't check for dial tone and turn off sound. I've added your recommendation as such: AT3XM0S10=50S11=50 , but the modem then refuses to connect at all. Is there a problem with this syntax? Can the AT and S commands be lumped together or should they be separated some how, possibly in the modem config file.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try the next time I'm in the office.

On another note: The LINUX used on the Qube is RedHat. Do you have any idea where to find the modem log file. I found one but it doesn't seem very descriptive; maybe that's all there is. I was hoping there would be a more descriptive file so I can actually see what is happening.

Thanks again.

Thanks Jim,

That seems to have done the trick. The modem doesn't cut off prematurely like it was before.

By the way... I'm Canadian too. I just prefer not to admit it while we have the most embarassing govenment in the entire history of our country.

Thanks again.

Hey Jim i have used the S10=50 before after a suggestion form a friend before but never seen the S11=50... do you have any info on the strings that can be used and what they are for?

S10=50 sets the loss of carrier time to 5 seconds. The default is 2 seconds, but with congested lines and ISP's 2 seconds isn't long enough, so 5 seconds keeps the connection alive until data can flow again. Helps stop premature disconnects.
S11=50 isn't really necessary, but I throw it in just for noisy phone lines. It increases the length of time for the tone, and the pause between tones, when dialling.
There are literally hundreds of string commands, and combinations.
One undocumented one to try is S202=32 which tells some modems to ignore any mulitple analog to digital switches, and can get a V90 modem back to V.90 speeds in some cases, where before the max was 33.6
Another to try is S95=1 which forces most modems to report the correct connect speed, when W2 doesn't work. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back