Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection dropping out after 2-3 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankton

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
AU
I have a problem with a Conexant Intl HSFi MiniPCI Modem its a V92 that was bundled with a Compaq Evo N115 notebook.
The problem is, when I connect to the Server at work which has a Banksia Intra 4 modem, the connection drops out after 2 - 3 minutes. Any ideas???

Tooooo many ideas comming this way![sad] [thumbsdown]

Does it drop out if you connect to other different servers or ISPs? Have you tried plugging your modem lead into a different phone socket?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Does the same to other isp connections and to other phone numbers on the server and from other phone lines

So it's undoubtedly your problem rather than at the remote end... How are you instigating a connection? Through Outlook, Explorer, or directly via the DUN? Was this modem (and DUN) already configured when you bought the laptop? Maybe check out the TCP/IP params. Make sure it's not using any other protocols other than TCP/IP when dialing. Do you have "Telephone Dialing Properties" enabled in the DUN setup. If yes, try disabling and typing the full phone number (and exit code) into the phone number box. Any "Call Waiting" or other options enabled? You didn't say what op system you're using, but is there a "Diagnostics" option under the modem icon in Control Panel? Does it pass ok? Are you plugging the phone connection into a Master phone socket or a Secondary. Is it going through a PBX switch? Are you using extension cables with adaptor(s) etc? These can all attentuate the signal and cause drop out. Temporarily try plugging DIRECTLY into a Master socket with no extension cables, no adaptors etc., say in a different building.

Well there's a few thoughts...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thanks for the input, the answers to your questions
1. How are you instigating a connection? A= DUN
2. Was this modem (and DUN) already configured when you bought the laptop? A= No I did it myself, I have done(Literally) hundreds of them and never had this problem.
3. Make sure it's not using any other protocols other than TCP/IP when dialing. A= It's not
4.Do you have "Telephone Dialing Properties" enabled in the DUN setup. A= yes but have tried the manual way and it does the same.
5. Any "Call Waiting" or other options enabled? A= No
6. is there a "Diagnostics" option under the modem icon in Control Panel? Does it pass ok? A= yes and yes
7. Are you plugging the phone connection into a Master phone socket or a Secondary. Is it going through a PBX switch? A= tried through all of the above and does the same on all.
8. Are you using extension cables with adaptor(s) etc? A= no
9. Temporarily try plugging DIRECTLY into a Master socket with no extension cables, no adaptors etc., say in a different building. A= been there done that
10. What OS am I using? A= Windows XP

Hmmm, not done much with XP... Any other funnies happening with this PC, or does it seemingly do everything else perfectly ok? Do you have any/many applications loaded at startup? If you have antivirus running, just temporarily disable it and try making a DUN connection again. Could the modem be faulty? Not likely, but check out screen saver action time, hard disk power down time etc. No other ideas at the moment I'm afraid...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thanx anyway, decided to get a pcmcia modem card (not v92)and shove in it. It worked ok. V92 is crap[thumbsdown]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back