Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Continual Checking - can this be done? and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edders

MIS
Sep 20, 2004
GB
Hey all,

Yet another idea for my problem!

How, if its possible, do you create a POLEING function which while the APPLICATION is being run checks to see if the connection is active.

I want this to continually run through out the Applications Instance and not interfer with the applications procedure. unless the connection is dropped!

really hope this made sense

cheers

Ed

Why do you want to keep the connection open? This would require more resources and licenses? The best design is to get the connection, make the change to the data and then get out.

Keith

I suppose you could set up a simple sql statement to query the database and put it in a timer to fire every so often and then do something if an error results.

You can create a standalone application in Powerbuilder which will monitor all your connections and alarm you if something changed.

Arnold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back