Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection between SM Location & PPM Messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagdishn

Technical User
Jun 9, 2013
IN
I am unable to find the connection between PPM & SM Location assigned. The issue we are facing with a particular location we are able to dial out a series of number but with a different location, I am able to dial out the number.

On checking PPM messages, there are some difference in the dialplan entries.

Can someone suggest the location relation with the PPM messages that the AST downloads & how to modify those PPM messages.

You don't modify PPM yourself, it's generated as a function of CM and SM programming.

Check your per-location ars tables. If SM sees that phone X with IP 10.10.10.10 is requesting PPM, it might be crunching it based on ip-network-map having entry 10.10.10.0/24 belonging to region 10 and region 10 is associated to location 10 so 'list ars analysis location 10' entries would be provided in PPM dial patterns as well as those entries in the ARS all table.

There were some changes in 6.3 for SM and phones. Lookup the dialplan compaction white paper for more details.

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely do the workaround & update !

I made a trace for PPM on SM.

1. Tried with location 5 (Non Working) to my extension & able to see PPM downloads in SM trace.

2. On changing location to 41 (Working) on my extension & there is no PPM download seen in sm trace.

I am unable to understand why there is no PPM downloads in Working Location (5) on my extension. Could you please suggest for possible issue.

Elaborate on 'location'

Sm has a concept of 'location'. You make a location named 'test' and you can associate subnets to it.

Cm has a concept of locations as well.

In 7.x+ those locations can be correlated - to say, SM + CM can have the same locations and IP ranges in each. There's some cool stuff you can do with bandwidth management with that.

Regardless, all that's gonna change is whether the phone gets PPM dial patterns for ARS ALL only or for ARS ALL and ARS location 5. It should have nothing to do with getting any PPM.

Your original problem was about dialing. Now you're saying that you get no PPM at all when you register from another location. You need to troubleshoot that.

For example, if location 1 is fine for sip phones and location 2 was all h323 and you're trying sip there now and you took your extension from location 1 and logged it in at location 2 and got no ppm at all. Would that be a fair description of the problem?

Something that might cause that issue in the circumstance I outlined above is the authoritative domain in the network region form. If, for example, location 1 was in NR1 and location 2 NR2 and location 1 had an authoritative domain defined but location 2 did not, that would explain why a phone in NR1/location 1 would get PPM and the same phone in NR2/location2 would not. Authoritative domain is a weird thing. 1 CM server can only be authoritative to 1 sip domain, but if you don't put it in the NR form, then your traceSM would probably show a subscribe from the phone to SM to CM and CM answer with 200OK but in that 200OK you'll see something like 'subscription terminated'

I'm not saying that's your problem, but it's a fair description of a failure and a cause for a situation that sounds slightly similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back