Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection Authenticates but only allows file access every other time

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaticDamage

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
GB
I have created a PPTP VPN connection to a windows 7 PC. The connection is made through a standard Netgear ADSL router/switch using port forwarding to the server (192.168.0.2). (I have updated the router to latest BIOS.) I can authenticate and connect with the server every time, but only see the shared drive every other time I connect. If I ping 192.168.0.1 (the router) it is only visible every other time I connect too.

The times that I have seen, every other time connects, issues, it has bee because there is a server such as a DNS, that is being queried in alternating fashion, with one returning a correct result and one returning a false result.

The fact that ping works in alternating fashion, suggests a possible DNS or routing problem. If you are pinging via ip address, and not hostname, you can reduce this to a routing problem.

In stead of running ping, run traceroute / tracert (windows) and see where the communication is breaking down. You may even find something like that it is using the wrong gateway half of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back