Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting WRT54G to WAP54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

X54

Technical User
Feb 26, 2007
US
I get my internet access over a Linksys WAP54G in wireless bridge mode. Currently, the LAN port of my WAP54G is connected to port 1 on my WRT54G. Everything works fine. But I'd like to use the INTERNET port on my WRT54G instead of taking up one of the LAN ports. But I can't seem to get the WAP and the WRT to talk to each other in this way. I've tried a few different things, but I've yet to see the WAP through the INTERNET port of the WRT.

Is it even possible to connect them in this way? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Is your internet all wireless? Do you have a modem? If so does it have more than one port. If so try running a cable from the modem into each internet port on the routers. Not sure exactly what you are doing. I have 4 routers connected to my modem. Some are only LAN with WLAN disabled for security, some are WLAN and LAN. Just a thought.

Yes, my internet access comes through my WAP54G (I share it with my friend, who pipes it down to me.) So I don't have a modem. My setup is fairly simple: my WAP54G LAN port (the only wired port on the WAP) is connected to port 1 on my WRT54G. As I said, this works fine. But, what I'd like to do is to connect the WAP to the INTERNET port on the WRT. I've tried this, but for whatever reason I can no longer even see the WAP (my computer is connected to port 2 of the WRT). So, basically, I have to use one of the LAN ports on my router for internet access, and the INTERNET port on the router is unused.

Here's a feeble attempt at a diagram:

laptop-->router port 2; router port 1-->WAP LAN port. This configuration works fine. I can access the WAP from my laptop.

The configuration that I can't get to work is:
laptop-->router port 2; router INTERNET port-->WAP LAN port.

Wow I have never set up one like that. It may be that because the WAP is sending internet through the LAN port. It is now ethernet and it can't use an internet port. You might be able to change the router to (router) rather than (gateway). Open your router interface go to on the setup page click (advanced routing) change the operating mode to router rather than gateway and see what happens.

Scott

Scott, thanks for your suggestion. Still no luck, changing the router to (router). It still works if I connect the WAP to the LAN port of the router, but not through the INTERNET port. Note that the WAP only has one ethernet port, labeled LAN. Any other suggestions? Could it be a bug in the router's firmware? (V3.01.3)

Thanks again,
Chris

I think the WRT54G's internet port may only work with a direct internet feed ie. from a modem. I also know that the WRT54G is npt able to recieve internet wirelessly. Thya said it is not a reciever. I know money grows on trees or at least my kids think it does. You may just want to buy a cheep switch to get more ports the Linksys SD216 is around $65 and gives you 16 ports. Just plug it in and go.

I will keep looking and thinking.
Linksys support is fairly good if you can get someone you can understand you might give them a shot. Or email them it takes longer that calling.

you could try some 3rd party software. Have you tried a cross over cable to connect the wap to the wrt that may work. But why would you not set the wrt54g up as a access point/wds link and use it that way. i have successfully set up a 1.5 mile link using 2 wrt54gl routers setup as access point/wds link with 19db antennas (using 3rd party software) and it works great.

I can't remember since I've installed dd-wrt on my linksys, but if it's available, you should use bridge mode on the WRT54G. If you use router or gateway, the internet and lan ports are on separate subnets (and use NAT)
In bridge mode, the internet port becomes just another lan port...

CU
G.

Yes, I did try the crossover cable, but it didn't help. The reason for not using the WRT as my end of the wireless bridge is that I use it for my in-house wireless network. The WAP is the link between the far end of the wireless bridge and my home wireless network. (The far end of the wireless bridge is a WRT.) This part of the network works fine--the only thing I can't get to work is plugging the LAN port of the WAP into the INTERNET port of my WRT.

My WAP is configured in wireless bridge mode--I don't think my WRT has a wireless bridge mode.

Thx again for all your comments!

you don't need to set is as a wireless bridge. But a wired bridge. In fact a bridge is the same as a switch...

As far as I can remember, you have a screen with "Operating mode" gateway, router and some other options. It's in this screen you need to change it. You don't want router nor gateway, so try the others (if there are any, again I might mix up with other firmware)

Gateway should work but you'll be doing double NAT (once on your WRT54G, and once on your downstream's friend router)
Just try it and then do ipconfig /all in a cmd box (it might be a dns issue or something...) Let us know the output of ipconfig /all
G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back