Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting with xserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
I jsut installed Solaris 8, the full install and when I try to connect to Xserver using LAN Workplace Pro that server doesn't seem to respond. What on the server needs to be running in order to login using xserver on a windows client?

a question (I don't know workplace pro): do you make a telnet connection and then try to execute a X app? (i.e. xclock)

in that case you should set the DISPLAY env.variable...

No you connect direct via xterm, no telnet first. I can get on an xserver connection with another machine that actually responds to LAN Workplace Pro, I login and get the gui screen. After that, I can telnet into the machine I need, set the display and it seems to work fine. See how I have LWP setup, it runs, then searches for machines that respond to Xserver and says to LWP, "Hey I can give you a gui console screen" and LWP makes a list of such servers. You select on and the CDE comes up. Only this new machine doesn't and I donl't know why>

Check to make sure the new system has all the X windows packages. There are about 30 of them you will need. YOu could do a pkginfo on a server it is working on and on the new server then compare to see what you are missing.

Ok, I got it... this is like reflection X.

can you telnet via xterm? if so, can you start a X app? (i.e. xclock) after seting DISPLAY of course.

I will check the packages. No files by that name on the file system anywhere. No xclock or x-anything. Maybe "bi" is correct that I never installed that portion of hte OS. I will review my install and see where I went wrong if I did.

x-apps (xclock, xload, xterm, xetc.) should be in /usr/openwin/bin

yes I did find them after all and I can run x apps as long as I telnet into it first and set the display but I would rather do it the other way. I guess it doesn't really matter, I just need to install Oracle on it. Once I do that I will not go back into this machine this way anylonger. Thank you!!!

I wonder why this command didn't return anything?
find / -name x*

you forgot -print at the end of the find command.

BTW, when you start LWP, does the server appear on the list?

You are right. Thanks.

No, when I start LWP, this particular server does not appear. All my other server do tho. I might do another jumpstart and see if there was something I could have done better during the OS install.

Is this server on another network segment? if so, try to start a GUI login (CDE) but specifying the IP address. I saw (with reflection X) when you have servers out of your net segment (U know what I mean), servers don't appear in the list, and -despite you can get them by ping and telnet- you can not query them (via broadcast of reflection X) and get them in to the list.

great suggestions, nope, he's on the same subnet and I did try giving it the machine IP address and the prompt that displays the CDE sort of hangs. I let it go for a long time and nothing comes out of it.

Are you trying to use xdmcp to connect? are you on the same subnet as the servers where LWP does work? and is the server where it doesn't work on a different subnet? Compare your network setup between the server where it doesn't work and the server where it does.

I had a problem of not being able to use xdmcp when my unix servers were put on a different subnet. I never really fixed connecting with xdmcp because it wasn't that important to me.

Good point, I will checl the network configs on both machines. They both ARE on the same subnet. 192.168.1.x

Hmmm, I don't htink I set a default gateway. That is the defaultroute command if I remember. Let me try that for the heck of it and I will see if there is anything else I missd there. Thanks for the help again!!

curious, may be you need some pathes... did you try to login (GUI) via another PC with LWP?

Haven't tried that one. I only have LWP loaded on my laptop. I don't even know wehre the disks are for it, it is such an old program but I like it because it always worked which is why I tend to believe I neglected to set or do something on the host. I may try eliminating that one and load it up on another PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back