Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting with WinCE platform to debug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownb77

Programmer
May 17, 2006
IT
Hello, I used Platform Manager (eval. ed.) to develop a WinCE 5 platform, and made it run correctly on my device (PXA 270). Now, I'm trying to run the "simple hello world" application by the VC++ embedded IDE, but it seems I miss something.

I'd like to press "F5" to build the application end then download it on the device, and start to debug it by my PC. Is this possible? What else?
I tried platform manager in all the possible configurations, but no one is working. I think I need to run a "CESH.exe" app on the device, but where can I find it? I built the image with debug support, command line tools etc. but I can't find any "CESH.exe". Any suggestion?

Thanks to all for any help.
BrownB

NB:I use a serial connection to configure the bootloader, then I use ethernet to download the operating system image.

I found the way by myself:
1 - the platform I made has "download" and "transport" set to "ethernet" and the debugger is "kdstub" (Connectivity Options);
2 - I set "platform Settings"->"Build Options" settings as following:
.Enable CE Target Control Support = TRUE;
.Enable EBoot space in Memory = TRUE;
.Enable full kernel mode = TRUE;
.Enable KITL = TRUE;

3 - just download the platform image by ethernet and stay connected to the device;

4 - in VC++ Embedded, choose "Tools- configure Platform Manager" and make a device with:
."transport" = "KITL transport for WinCE"
."Startup server" = "CESH for windows CE"
(both with standard settings);
5 - using VisualC++ embedded, just "run" the application (F5): it will start to download the application and the debug begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back