Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting with programs like logmein / skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

smegghead69

Programmer
Jan 26, 2011
GB
thread595-1598113

I read the above thread with interest, but it didn't really answer the question that's burning in my mind.

If I'm on skype, and I'm chatting to someone, then I decide to send them a big file. Does this file go via the skype servers, or is a direct connection between mine and my friend's machine established ?

If we're both behind a firewall with no listening ports, and we have both established a connection to the skype servers, does it somehow pass my 'socket details' over to my chat-mate ? and then the file exchange is completed directly between our PC's without touching the skype server.

A similar scenario is when I'm connecting to another machine via logmein.. once the connection is established, am I talking directly to their machine, or via the logmein servers ??

Cheers
Smg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back