Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting win2000 professional to a winME server

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovannn

Programmer
Dec 31, 2001
US
I am having problem connecting a laptop with win2000 professional with a desktop running win ME as the server. The desk to sees the laptop in the workgroup. The laptop sees it self on the network but the Internet and file sharing is not there. I checked the router and cables is all ok. And a third computer using win ME is fine. I need help with the configurations if it is possible

start with giving the laptop its own ip address:
go into control panel, network dialing options, right click lan connection, properties, [if the laptop sees itself in lan, then its sfe to assume you have tcp-ip installed], highlight tcp-ip, properties, select: use the following ip address and give it something like 192.168.0.1
The subnet mask will probably then become 255.255.255.0
Don't worry about DNS.

Try and find the server on the lan now. If the server runs a dhcp server, you might have just taken its ip, so i suggest changing the ip to something like 192.168.0.50
If you have a small network, i suggest you give all the machines their own ip.

If you have done all the above already, then check:
- the laptop and server uses the same subnet mask.
- the laptop and server uses the same workgroup name.
- try using ping: in command prompt, try the command:
ping (the ip of the server). If you get a response you are halfway there, if no response, then you might want to start checking the cables, hubs-router etc.

anyway, try the above and return if no luck
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back