Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting via IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjw2006

Programmer
Nov 16, 2006
GB
Hi, I've need to connect to a remote SQL Server instance that is not currently on our network. I've managed to get all the relevant ports open (1433) and can ping and telnet to the server. Is there any way to connect to this SQL Server instance via ip address in Crystal Reports?

Thanks.

CR XI R2
SQL Server 2008 (SQL Express version)

Set up an ODBC, use the IP address as the the server name. I believe the SQL Server 2008 ODBC driver is backward compatiable to SQL Server 2000.

Hi, thanks for the response, but this method won't work if I upload the report to the Enterprise environment (Infoview) which is on another server, will it?

You will need to set up and ODBC on the Enterprise server (we do it all the time). It makes it easier if you use the same name in both places.

Ok, thanks for that - seems to work if I set it up as SQL Native client. Pity it's not possible to do a direct ADO connection though.

Thanks again.

I set up the ODBC connection on the Enterprise server, but when I run the report in Infoview, it fails every time with the error "The instance is not printed" & "Failed to open the connection..." Is there any way to get around this, considering that the database is on a remote server that is not on our domain?

Thanks

Not sure why it is failing?!? We connect to remote DB via IP using an ODBC. So as long as we have permissions on the remote DB for the ODBC login set up properly, it alwasys works. I know that our reports sometimes 'lose' the login information associated with the report (after we have modified the report) and we have go back in and set the password again on the data connection.(CMC, select report, Process tab, Database, re-enter the password and update).

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back