Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

barwarner

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
US
I get my DSL Internet service through a 2Wire Gateway, but I want to connect a Linksys BEFSR41 router to it (through the Linksys Uplink port) because I need additonal ports for other computers on my home network. I have disabled the DHCP server on the Linksys router, thinking I didn't need two routers passing out IP addresses. But now the computers connected to the Linksys are not getting an IP address. What did I leave out or not do? Thanks.

Barry

You have to disable the firewall feature as well. With the firewall feature enabled it is still trying to perform NAT. As well as disable WAN Blocking.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

So, if I disable the firewall and the WAN forwarding, and leave the DHCP service disabled, it should work? Thanks.

It should, also i would assign it a static ip for management purposes.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Don't use the WAN port on the linksys - you'll need to only use the 4 switched ports. If neither the linksys or the 4wire do auto crossover/uplink, you'll need to connect the 2 devices with a crossover cable.

Yeah good point forgot to mention that.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back