Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two PC's to share files without the domain being present 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hathjaba

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2004
GB
I have two PC's which have been setup so that they are in a domain and not a workgroup. The users profiles have been cached on the PC's so that they can login to the PC locally without being connected to the domain.
When they want to connect to the internet or connect to their mail account, they utilise a dialup connection which connects them to the domain.
I want to enable these two users to share files on each of their PC's without being connected to the domain via the dialup connection.
My problem is that because the PC's think they are on a domain they cannot see each other.
Could someone please advice what settings I need to make/change to enable these two PC's to share files offline without removing them from the domain?

Are the machines connected together with an ethernet cross-over cable?

Thanks for your replies.

bcaster
I am connecting the PC's via a 4 port hub using normal patch leads.

dearingkr
Sorry I am not able to find the FAQ 567-591. Could you please post the contents.

Thanks.

Did you check the IP addresses/masks? Considering what you told us, I think there is your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back