Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting two different lan's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfroggigger

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2002
US
the problem that i have is this, i have one lan that is connected via a netopia cayman 3500 configed as such dhcp assigned 10.50.21.226 - 10.50.21.250 netmask 255.255.255.224 and i want to connect this lan to an existing one in the building with is as such 10.50.21.130 - 10.50.21.158 netmask 255.255.255.224, would i need to implement a brige or what, i'm really confused and any help i would appreciate

Thanks

You are going to need a router to get between the two vlans seeing that they using a different subnet mask or use a different mask and put everyone in the same vlan . Looking at your address ranges it only looks about 50-60 addresses and you certainly could put everyone into one vlan if wanted .

I'm not familiar with the Netopia's very much, but your situation seems simple. Just connect the HUB/Switch of LAN-A to the HUB/Switch to LAN-B. Since both are in the same IP scheme 10.50.21.x and Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.224 they should all see each other and as long as they are configure to obtain IP and DNS automatically then everything should be fine.

Just configure your Netopia to dish out the right amount of IP addresses. Make sure enough will be served to allow all machines to receive one. If you find yourself running out of IP's then thats another ballgame, but still not difficult.

If you are using VLAN's as the previous post suggested then I wouldn't know how to help you at the moment.

Let me know how it goes.

John
Systems Manager
Boca Raton, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back