Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting two computers with one modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindtrapz

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
i have a cable modem connected to one computer and i have another computer in another roon that i want connected to the same modem, but the cable company says that i cant have 2 cable modems in my house. so how do i connect the new computer to the one that already is connected to the cable modem. i aam tryin to do this as afforable as possible...can i get a usb cable or something?..i have no idea what to do!

Get yourself a router. Then you can connect a few computers to one modem. Now they have these wireless units that you do not need to extend wires all over the place. Go on EBAY see if you can get one cheapper :)

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

or even cheaper, you can install a second ethernet card in the pc that is connected to the modem and one in the other. run a cat5 cable from one NIC to the other NIC. then you can use windows built in feature ICS (internet connection sharing) to share the service. let us know if you need more help with that. make sure to provide more info about your computers. you may want to change to another part of this forum though, like "internet service discussion"

good luck! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

That is true BUT then both computers would have to be on :) for that method to work

The way to do it is the way the person who said to get two cards. Install a second ethernet card in the pc that is connected to the modem and one in the other,run a cat5 cable (called a crossover), from one NIC to the other NIC, then you can use the Windows XP Setp Disk to set up the computers. So what if the main computer has to be on to share them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back