Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Two computers together, using NICs, RJ-45, and Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I Have two computers, both have the NIC's for RJ-45 in them, both have Win98. I hooked a Cat 5 cable (Crossover) between the two, but they wont communicate. I get there IP address, and ping from the other computer and it wont talk. I hooked up TCP/IP, Client For Microsoft Networks and File/Print Sharing. What am I doing wrong?

hello, have the same problem only I have a 95 and 2000
they just do not see each other . if you find out how to check weather they are connected please let me know thanks Yury

just a thought.... you could map the network drives in Network Neighborhood.

right click on network neighborhood --> then click on map network drives.

If you can't ping between the two pcs you won't be able to do anything else

Are you specifying the IP addresses?

Try setting pc1 to 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
pc2 to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

If you do have the correct cat5 crossover cable you should then at least be able to ping both ways

Regards

Roy

Hi,
Run winipcfg ,on both pc
both should have
1. same subnet mask something like 255.255.255.0
2. ip address should be same upto three decimal or where the last 255 end.
as if subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 , both ip address should be same upto 2 decimals.
check cross cable
pinout
1-3
2-6

-bhandari

I tried all of that. I set the IP address, just one number off, used same subnet mask. One thing I noticed different though, when I run winipgcfg, I noticed that one computer's node type is Hybrid, and the other is Broadcast. Would that make a difference? How would I change that??? One of the computers is already hooked up to a network, I disconnect it from the network, and plug it into the computer I want to test it too, and I still get nothing. I've test the same cable on two other machines, and it works perfectly...

Make sure both computers have the same, Workgroup Name, and Make sure there is no spaces in the computers name.

Just in Case, you haven't already done so.

It still doesn't work. Any other Idea's????

Mark it seems now that you have Driver/Ethernet, since you are unable to ping in between.
Hybrid and Broadcast these are used for name resolution. I feel you should not worry about them right now.
-bhandari

Sounds like you narrowed it down to hardware, but just in case remove networking completely from the PC that is giving you problems, reinstall networking from scratch. Add driver, and TCP protocol, set addresses and try it if it still does not work try a different driver or another Network card all together.

Just a thought, but how sure are you about the cross-over cable. I've had many of long nights due to the fact that my cable was bad. I know just because you have a link light does not always mean the cable is good. Many ways you can check the cable out with a DMM or even take it to your local computer shop and see if they can test it out. I've had some do it at no charge. If this doesn't work I would look to a hardware issue. I agree about removing the network out of the configuration, it has helped me many times. Also make sure you are not running any un-necessary protocols, if you want to run TCP/IP just stick to that protocol. I know I had some issues with NetBEUI between Windows 95 and 98 systems, don't know if they've fixed that or not. Hope you get it working sounds like you've done everything possible.

david e

Try Installing NetBEUI, under your protocols. It should work fine as long as your keeping it for your LAN.

the 1st to check when it like that is tha cableing like sobak said try to find a permade one and if you made it your self go by the staderand in rx and tx line up So long and thanks for all the fish.

I have 2 Ethernet III Combo cards. I had the same problem to start, untill a network engineer asked me to run a card test. With Ethernet you should have a driver disk, run a diagnostic and make sure all the info is the same. Any small differences could mean the difference between two machines talking and not talking. All info is saved directly to the card and to my knowledge it cannot be done through windows.

Remove the cards first.
Load and Exit Windows.
Add the cards & run Diag program
Load windows and allow to re-detect.
As above add the TCP/IP address and Subnet Mask and/or IPX
Reboot and they should talk.

The Priciple might work with this, but if it's only using an RJ-45 socket it might not, but it can't hurt to look :)

Nick

Sorry about the spelling mistakes.

Or just run the 3c5x9cfg.exe prog from Dos (not DOS shell) and check that they are both using the RJ45 connector.

just a thought.........could you give a find the computer in the network neighborhood, whit the name of the computer1 or in computer2, try fien computer1, do so.

Have you tried PINGing the loopback address? This would tell you if TCP/IP was functioning correctly on each PC. To do this use the following:

PING 127.0.0.1

If the ping is successful then you will at least know that TCP/IP is configured correctly. You need to try this on each PC. You don't even need a cable installed. I do this from a DOS box within Win9x.

is file and print sharing turned on?
Try pinging 127.0.0.1 (loopback test, then use winipcfg to find out your ip address if you are using TCP/IP that is and ping your own address, this will check the wiring from your computer to the hub, if you are using a hub.

if you are not using tcp/ip, then these wont work. make sure that both workgroup names are the same, but that the computer names are different.

if all else fails, I believe that you can goto a command prompt and type netstat.

make sure that the user name on the win9x machine is defined as well on the win2k or the win9x wont connect to the win2k.

If Loopback ping works fine, I suggest you verify if your NIC's both have valid MAC Adress.

I had this problem once, one of the card was having an all 0 MAC .... Meaning the card was out of order !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back