Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two computers to one modem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedjay

Instructor
Jun 17, 2003
GB
My wife and I each have a computer; hers is downstairs and mine is upstairs, and both are running Win98SE. I have a cable modem (1Mb connection) which I would like to connect to both computers so that either one of us can use the modem for fast internet connection. Sharing files and folders is not an issue since mine would be turned off some of the time, as would hers; what we really need to do is to share the modem using some sort of wireless system. I believe this is possible but don't know how to go about setting it up.

is this the picture of your desired setup? (many vendors would work, dlink had a nice picture)

this shows a broad band connection and router which is hard wired to one computer and wireless to another (it shows two wireless, one desktop and one laptop, so it can name both cards)

This would allow both PCs to be online at once, and either one would still work if the other was turned off.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back