Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting two cisco 2524 routers, what is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyzguy1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
I have dsl at home, and a 2524 router. It comes with only 1 ethernet port, and two serial ports. I would like to hook it up to my dsl. I was informed that i would need two ethernet ports. So im deciding to buy another 2524 router. But then someone told me that i needed a serial module. I thought all I would need is a db-60 cable and two db-15 transceivers? Is this true.? what would I actually need?

If you buy another 2524 you will need a DCE serial cable and a DTE serial cable. If you get the V.35 cables, the cheapest I have seen them is about $80 each. Remember to set the clockrate on the DCE port. There is another alternative that does not require these cables.

If you have already decided to buy another router, instead of another 2524 (which will have an ISDN port you won't need in this configuration), buy a 2514. The 2514 has two ethernet ports, so you won't have to use the 2524 that you have now. You will still only run one router and only ethernet cables.

Since you are setting this up at home, also consider a 1605R. It is much smaller and also has 2 ethernet ports. The 1605R comes with a slot for a WAN blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back