Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting TWO 100Base TX wall plugs with ONE cat5 cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramgni

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
DE
Hi all,

I need to connect quite a few PCs in my small office with cat5 cable going to wall outlets with two RJ-45 connectors per outlet. - However, I only have very limited space in the in-wall cabling channels, so I would like to use only ONE cable going to each of the wall outlets and cable both RJ-45 plugs in the one outlet with the 8 wires, respectively 4 pairs in the cable.

I know that with 100BaseTX as opposed to 100BaseTX4 only two pairs are actually used and the others are twisted but go nowhere. In theory I should be able to use these other 2 pairs for the second plug, but I don't know if having two network connections going within one cable won't cause excessive interference and network breakdown?

Can anyone tell me if this is possible or even common practice?

Regards,

ramgni

All four pairs are used in 1000baseT, so you can NEVER go there. Never is a long time for a building.

I have occasion to run phone lines via my 'ethernet' cable, (not at the same time as ethernet) this would not be easy if the pins were not active. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

You can terminate two outlets with one CAT5 run but you really shouldn't. Why don't you put a hub or a switch in that office and run all the local machines off that?

Better still, find another route for the cabling and have it done properly.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

To answer your question, yes it can be done and yes it is done quite often with success. Now, it isn't the correct way to do things, it may turn around and hurt you later. Let me first say the correct solution is to pull wire, but your question was can you do it and will it work.

Amp (now Tyco) makes a product line called the ACO series. Cat5 wires are teriminated on 110 type connectors at the wall outlet, and then the appropriate module is plugged in to provide whatever wiring you want. It is not at all my first choice for a cabling system, but I service several large facilities with this system in place. Modules are available that do exactly what you are asking, you put a duplex module in each end of the wire run and you get two ethernet jacks. We have experienced no problems running these at 100 mbs.

In working with these customers, i leave them a few of the duplex modules on site. If the need arises for a quick addition, then snap them in and and are off and running. Then they call and we schedule a time to come in and add a wire to that location, change the modules out, and do it right.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back