Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Windows 2000 Acitive Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitesh22

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
US
Hello,

I just promoted my Server to Active Directory and when I try to login to to my workstation it takes a very long time to login to the network. IT takes about 30 minutes to login. I have a DSL line connected to my Server and I am also using D-Link internet sharing Firewall. Firewall is also my DHCP server so all the workstations gets the ipaddress from DLink Firewall. The TCP/IP setting for my server is a follows. IPaddress is 192.168.1.2 (my internal IP address) subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Internet Sharing Firewall). MY Primary DNS is 24.4.48.35 and My secondary DNS is 24.4.48.36 (Which are my ISP DNS). I have set all my workstaion to obtain ipaddress from DHCP. How come it is taking so long to connect to the network. I am not using any scripts or batch files. Please help.....

Thank You

Regards,

Hitesh.

Hi, if you set up active directory and named your domain with a .com extension and this name happens to exist on the internet, then your workstations are searching that domain server. Unless you have a registered domain name it is best to name your internal domain xyz.local. You could configure the firewall router to use your IP address from your ISP with the DNS addresses and make your server a DHCP server using the 192.168.1.2 address and make that your primary DNS also, with the 192.168.1.1 as the gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back