Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to VNC through firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgp77

Programmer
Nov 25, 2005
CA
Hello,

I'm trying to setup a VNC server on my home machine in order to access it from work. I used the site to setup a account to allow me to have a hostname associated with my dynamic IP address. According to dtdns.net it looks like my account is setup correctly and that my local IP is associated with the hostname I chose. I setup VNC to accept connections on port 5900 initially and then tried port 80. Things seem to to work fine for a friend of mine connecting from his home machine however when I try connecting from work I get a message stating

"Unable to resolve host by name. No such host is known (11001)"

Now as I mentioned my friend is able to connect from his home machine using my hostname without any issue I am just hoping that someone may be able to help me with this issue or expain to me what might be happening. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

It looks like you have narrowed it down to the issue being with your work machine. Maybe check your accounts. I am guessing but maybe you need to try something like turning on your guest account or maybe making sure each machine has the same user name and it is a member of administrators. Start there.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Thanks for the tip Bospruell. I'm a little confused though. How would the local accounts on either machine prevent the VNC viewer from being able to see my machine's DNS name. As you can see I'm no expert in this field. I also tried using the ping utility on the site and it doesn't appear to be able to reach my machine. Although I know it is up and running. Please let me know.

Thank you very much!

I tried using the traceroute utility on the site and it says that it reached the destination but that
[Router did not respond]

Does this help at all in determining what is going on? I'm not using a router myself but perhaps my ISP is. Also worth noting is that my friend (the one able to connect to my machine) has the same ISP. Any help is appreciated. This is very fustrating.

Thanks

I also got this message from the traceroute utility.

There appears to be a firewall at 70.29.62.89 (hop 10) that blocks ICMP (ping) packets.
The destination appears to block unwanted UDP packets

Something is holding you up on your end, since your friends works. I mentioned accounts, because I have ran into issues lately on XP networks with people not being able to access each others files and turning on guest account helped in that situation, and I just took a guess that it may or may not be relevant to your issue. I use Pcanywhere for all my remote accessing so I am not familiar with VNC other than using it in house and not for remote access.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back