Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to the outside world

Status
Not open for further replies.

realm22

Programmer
Mar 3, 2003
IE
Can anyone tell how to connect my linux box to the internet via my fireweall.

I am running Smoothwall on a seperate PC (TCP 192.168.0.1) which works with my windows pc's (Local Area Network) but the option to connect to the internet from via TCP dosent seem to be... an option in Redhat... or am I a complete idiot (don't even think about it).

If I need a second network card I'm lost ??? How do I configure it and How....

Mike

Hello,

I don't know Smoothwall but I supose it works like a firewalled router, right? So you should be able to access internet though this host tha same way you access from windows machines.

You only need two configuration tips (and probably not a second NIC). You need your linux box to have a working interface with an IP of the same range of the firewall's (192.168.0.X). This way you'll be able to communicate with the firewall (you should be able to ping the firewall, right?. Maybe there's no response if the firewalling rules filter this kind of traffic).

The next thing is to force your linux box to route all the outgoing traffic (except the direct subnet traffic) trough the firewall:

% route add default gw 192.168.0.1

To check the available routes:

% netstat -rn

This way you should be able to access the internet if the firewall rules allow this traffic.

NOTE: This route add command enables temporary routes at the routing table. When you reboot this route will be lost, so consider enabling it permanently.

Bye,

jmiturbe

Thanks for the help. During this little problem I updated to Mandrake 9.1 and guess what? It's all working! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back