Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Sybase

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIG357

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
US
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm working on a Pocket PC app using VS.net 2003. I'd like to open an ado connection to a sybase db on our serveramd grab a few records. DOes anyone know of a way to do this with out installing additional software? I know Sybase has an ultralite db for the PPC, but i can't justify buying it for these purposes. I don't want to do syncronization, or any offline stuff, just pull down a list of names from the db and go from there? Any way to do this, or alternative ideas?
Thanks

Joe

Joe,

My suggestion would be if you just need to grab a quick static recordset and then store it locally store it in a local XML file on the Pocket PC. It is easy to do with .NET. as long as the XML file is not to huge.
HTH,
Bueller

I would love to grab a quick recordset and store it locally and operate on it, but i haven't found a way to do this without installing the local ultralite database on the ppc. Like I said, my data requirements are minimal. All i need to do is pull a list of names off the network server (a 2000 box running Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0) and possibly throw some INSERT statements back at the server, but I can't figure out an easy way of doing this. With most other platforms/databases i've used or looked at, all i would need to accomplish this would be a driver and the appropriate connection string to use with ADO, but Sybase seems to not be that easy. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back