Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to shared folder on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfdog

MIS
Feb 19, 2001
US
Weird problem that just started and not sure exactly how it can be possible.

I am a valid user (admin) on a NT 4 Server. I have a folder on it that is shared.

From my workstation, that is running XP Pro with Novell Client, I can't connect to the folder, IF I use the IP address in the UNC path. For example \\123.123.123.123\Folder

It says that I don't have the permission to use the network resource. Now, if I put in the Server name in the unc path, it will connect (\\ServerName\Folder).

Now, the other odd thing is this...if I go into windows explorer and map a network drive to a drive letter, in the folder spot, if I put the IP unc path it, it will connect without any problems.

I have changed my password to all lowercase and also uppercase, but it still doesn't matter.

Anyone have any ideas? If this is the wrong place to put this, can you direct me in the right place. Thanks.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back