Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Samba domain member using WinXP errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimjohnsean

Technical User
Sep 8, 2009
AU
I have a domain set up using Samba 3.2.5 with an LDAP backend (Debian Lenny)

I can join a Debian Lenny machine to the domain, and browse the resources on that machine using a WinXP client (not on the domain). All works fine.

I can also join a Ubuntu Jaunty machine to the domain, and a WinXP machine to the domain. Again, all works fine.

The problem comes when joining a Debian Etch or a RHEL 5.1 machine to the domain.

Using "net rpc join -U username" joins the machine to the domain, and "net rpc testjoin" confirms it is successfully joined.

Using "smbclient //machinename/sharename" allows me to browse the resources on the joined machine. But trying to browse it using a WinXP machine will not work.

The error that is seen on the WinXP machine is "There are no logon servers available to service the logon request". In the logs on the domain member, the error is
"domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user username in domain WINXP to Domain controller PDC. Error was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL".

There seems to be a few people having the same troubles judging by a google search, but none of the forum entries have a solution to the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sean

I'm a little confused too - is the Windows XP workstation joined to the domain?

If it isn't, that's normal behaviour. The only exception is if you are using a username and password that exists locally on the machine not joined to the domain. In that case it will let you browse. Otherwise you'll be denied access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back