Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to our NT Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Programmer
May 7, 1998
AM
I am trying to connect to our NT box. All I have to work with is the ip address and name of the computer's domain. What I have been told is that I need to install the MSClient on my win95 system. But I don't know what to do from there. How do I make the network connection? I don't get this stuff at all as I am not a network person. Could anyone walk me thru the process?

One question before proceeding, is this a stand alone server(Workgroup) or is it actually part of a domain. the process for connecting the two are slightly different. If it's in a workgroup only and not a domain, go to network properties and make sure the workgroup name is located in the workgroup section of the "Identification" tab. Once you restart, you can do a seach, for computer, type the computer name and click on search. It should then give you a listing of the computer name and which workgroup it is in. You can then drill down on that entry, right click on the volume you wish to attach to and map a drive letter to it.

If the server is actually in a domain, there are a few more steps. First make sure the Client for Microsoft Networks is installed. Once installed, go to network properties, select the "Client for Microsoft Networks" and then click on properties. Make sure the "Login to Windows NT Domain" is checked and the domain name is entered in the "Windows NT Domain". Click on OK, then on the network properties window, click on OK again. Windows will ask for a restart. Once restarted, the domain will ask for a valid login. Once you are logged in, go to network neighborhood and the server will appear in the list. From there, you may drill down and assign a network drive to one or all of the shared NT volumes.

I am assuming since the guy at the isp told me to install the MSclient that we are part of a domain. I tried both methods though to no avail. When the system restarted i got a message like...No NT domain was available to validate your password, you may not be able to access.....Then I went to Network Neighborhood and got a message that said you are unable to browse the network. Any suggestions other than suicide????

Since this question is being posted in the IIS section, I need to ask if you are trying to get physical access to the server or are you attempting to manage the IIS server remotely? Is the computer you are attempting this with on the local network with the server or is this through a dial-in or other remote access?

If I were to go with PCAnywhere would I be able to access the NTBox at the ISP from my Win95 System here? Or is NT the only platform PC Anywhere supports? Also, once I do that how do I administrate IIS and get access to the IIS administrator from here? As you can see I am new to much of this.

PCAnywhere32 will run on 95 and NT so, yes, you can access the server via 95 there. IIS has web based admin and can be done from any browser. This admin has to be installed and avaiable. If it has not been installed (This happens with the initial installation generally) then it can be installed from eiother backoffice or the cd with the proper version of IIS. Once installed, you need to get a copy of the link that NT puts into the IIS group and put it on you win95 desktop. When activated it will go out and find the web-admin server. If you do, however, go with PC Anywhere32 then you would be able to use the standard admin tools built into IIS.

Yes, we have a major breakthrough here and are now able to complete work of setting up files on our new server and transferring files over. There is definitely light at the end of this very long and dark tunnel.....

You can also make this type of connection through PPTP, but there needs to be configuration changes at the NT Box to make it work. Once it is enabled you dial into your Normal ISP, and then you open a second Dial-up networking session that actually dials the IP address of the NT machine instead of a phone number. The advantages of this way of connecting is that you can force the system to encrypt the entire datta stream, so that it is immune to packet shiffers. You can also use different usernames and passwords for the two connections.

I am not sure if that is of major concern, but it can be advantageous if your are transfering sensitive data from one machine to the other.

PS> This is not really an IIS Issue, but more of a networking, or remote access issue.

Yeah, this is actually one of the PVN methods I mentioned and works wonderfully (I've used it myself. Adds that little touch o' encryption...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back