Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to other servers error while in Dial up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy001

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2006
ZA
Hi

I have set-up ras on one of my servers. Everything seems to be configured properly. I am able to connect and I do get authenticated but I cannot ping any of my other servers
on the same domain. I have been through everything and even compared it to another server and all Ras settings are the same. Not sure if this is something to do with Cal's? As it is a new installation. Any ideas?

Thanks

The ipconfig picks up an ip address in my range being 10.241.169.x, but the subnet is 255.255.255.255, whereas my domain subnet is 255.255.248.0. The default gateway is the same as the ip address.

If you are using the "default gateway" over RAS/DUN, you will not be able to make a second RAS/DUN connection once the first is established, because it is trying to make a connection to the second VPN via the first VPN.

Instead, you will have to turn off the option to use the RAS/DUN connection as a default gateway, and instead set custom or persistent routes.

Also, you can use one of your RAS/DUN connections as a default gateway, but you must establish taht RAS/DUN connection LAST.

This is a trick I frequently use on the road when I have to connect to multiple offices, and use a public network (like a wireless connection in a Starbucks)

I connect to one office without using it as a default gateway, and set a custom route to the LAN in the office via the PPTP connection.

I then connect to the second office using it as a default gateway, and don't have to set a custom route.

This allows me to connect to both offices, and also encrypts all of my network and internet traffic, as it is all now traveling via one of my two VPN connections.

I misread your post. Please ignore my response. On a second read, it may be a name resolution issue.

Are you using DNS or WINS for name resolution? If you are using DNS, are you using the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of your servers to ping them?

subnet 255.255.255.255 is not the issue and this is by design. What's the server PPP IP?

Why does my VPN server or client PPP adapter have 169.xxx IP Why my XP VPN client's subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 Why my XP VPN client's IP is the same as ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back