Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Oracle 8.1 db on Aix

Status
Not open for further replies.

superrug

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
GB
I would be grateful if someone could help a bit, with this simple problem im sure. We have installed the oracle 8.1 client software, but i need to know how to configure my AIX server so that i can connect. Do i need to install some server software, such as a listener ? I have looked on the Oracle web site but to no avail. I know this is a pretty basic question compared to most on this page but it would be great if someone could take the time to explain this a little for me.

Could you explain where Oracle server resides?

Regards, Dima

In order to connect to a database using the Oracle Client software, the server must be running a TNSLISTENER. Generally this gets installed automatically when Oracle is installed, but the task/service might not be running. On the client side, you need a TNSNAMES.ORA file that defines the database(s) to which you can connect. A sample gets installed with the Client, which you can then edit for your database(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back