Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to my FTP site on Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib999

Programmer
May 18, 2005
CA
Hello,

I just had a simple question about logging onto my FTP service through localhost. I've got Windows Server 2003, and I went through the IIS Manager to setup a Default FTP site. I'm trying to start from scratch so I deleted all existing FTP sites before I created the one I called "Default FTP". Anyway, I right clicked "FTP Sites", chose New -> FTP Site..., assigned it the 127.0.0.1 IP address and TCP port 21, chose Isolate users, selected my path to be c:\Inetpub\ftproot (which is set to shared), and checked both read and write. Then, to set my username and password, I right click on "Default FTP", chose properties, click the "Security Accounts" tab, change my username and password to what I want, leave "Allow anonymous connections" on and "Allow only anonymous connections" off, and press OK (confirming my password).

Now, if I want to connect to my FTP site, what do I do? In IE, I tried typing in "ftp://localhost/" in the URL field, but when it asks me for a user name and password, I type in what I set the username and password to, but it says I was rejected. Same thing happens when I try "ftp://127.0.0.1/". I also have Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional, and I tried to create a connection called "My Server" with the host name "localhost". When I try to logon using my username and password, again it says I was reject. Same thing happens when I try setting the host name to "127.0.0.1".

So my question is: Am I trying to connect to my FTP server in the right way?

I've also been working with Server 2003 FTP permissions, so far I found my login only works if I use domain\username, username on it's own would not log on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back