Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Multiple Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdr

MIS
May 14, 2003
GB
Hello,
We use an Access db. This db has to be archived regularly. On archive all but current - ie active records are seemingly deleted(they are stored on file as a .xls)
I need to report on old and current data, so that i can report on things such as YTD V LYTD, count(*) of all jobs etc.

Can i connect crystal to the current AND archive dbs to list all the data i need. - they would be exactly he same tables, columns and joins.

If not, has anyone any ideas that may be of help.

Thanks in advance.

So you have 2 data sources, the current is an .mdb, and the historical is an .xls?

You can hook 2 data sources in Crystal, though the join types will be limited to equals, which may pose a problem here.

Consider linking the .xls files back into the Access database (not importing, use linking) and create a Access query to be used by the Crystal Report.

It's different that someone would intentionally choose to take data out of a database and store data it in an .xls.

Why not just archive it into another Access database or table within the current database? Access may not be a big kid database, but it's much more efficient than Excel.

You can always use ODBC to connect to it from Excel if you so desire.

-k

thanks will try this. I have inherited a very bizarre job tracking db, and have been using sqlserver for too long. thanks for the heads up. have done as you say and then unioned the two tables, and the data comes up trumps.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back