Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Linksys srw2024 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

billy1tech

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2009
CA
Trying to connect a Linksys 2024 switch to a Nortel 5510 switch via the fibre uplink ports.

VLANS 1(default) and VLAN 20 created

Both uplink ports are Trunk and have both vlans in them.

Created (1) port on Cisco switch in VLAN 1 and (1) port on VLAN 20. Added both VLANS to trunk ports.

I can ping across both switches in VLAN 1 but cannot ping across the switches in VLAN

Can these 2 switches properly tag VLAN 20 between each other or have I missed something?

What VLAN 20 IP addresses do you have?
What is routing between VLANs 1 & 20?

Check the tagging/untagging config of the VLANs on the interfaces.
I suppose you should have the Nortel interface set to
- "UntagPVIDOnly"
- VLAN1 as PVID
- member of both VLANs
(that's *3* seperate bits of config on a Nortel to make a .1q trunk).

I guess the Linksys .1q trunk config is a lot more obvious - just make sure it has the untagged VLAN1 and tagged VLAN20 the same so it matches with the Nortel.

By default all ports on the Nortel switch are members of vlan 1. The device in vlan 20 you are attempting to ping on the Nortel switch, make sure that port's pvid is set to 20.

When the device replies, the switch will use this pvid as the vlan tag, in other words, vlan 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back