Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to Cox High Speed Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pweegar

Programmer
Nov 3, 2000
US
I was wondering if anyone has been able to coonect to Cox High Speed Internet. Just got connect this past weekend via Win2K. Would be interesting to see the connection work thru Susie 8.1. Cox uses DHCP. I know I'd have to enable DHCP in my Linux config. And Linux DID find my dsl modem, altho Cox isn't listed in the list of available ISP's. And I am connecting the dsl modem thru a USB connection. Would/Should I connect the modem thru my NIC? Then enable DHCP???

If you connect to your isp via your dsl modem through usb in Win2k, then it will work in Linux.

If it is DSL and they use pppoe, then I would suggest reading up at
You probably already have the pppoe client, it should come with SuSE. If you don't have it, then download it from them. You just need to configure it, then run it, and it will connect to your isp through your dsl modem.

First of all you're going to have better luck if you connect the modem to the nic rather USB. Second, posts on my Lug's list indicate that Suse's version of pppoe is broken in some fashion so that you would be better off to grab Roaring Penguin's version. It will fit on a floppy so you can use your Windows connection to retrieve it.

Once you get it installed on your machine, su to root and type adsl-setup, hit enter and follow the prompts. Because your ISP uses dhcp, when the program asks, enter server.The next sticky bit is when it asks about initiating the connection at boot. The question is confusing because of the way its constructed (it contains a double negative) -- so the correct answer is actually no. At the end of the program it will ask you about a firewall. You will be better off to choose no firewall here and then configure the one that comes with Suse. The firewall that comes with rp-pppoe doesn't offer much protection. Finally to connect the first time type adsl-start. The next time you boot your machine the service will start automatically. If for any reason, you have to take your firewall off-line you can kill the connection by entering adsl-stop as root.

Canadian0812

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I actually got a connection! And Yes I did use a Cat5 cable. Seeks that Suse will see the modem, but doesn't connect with USB. Seems to work well, for the most part. Who's firewall should I use? I set up the one that comes with SUSE 8.1. Should this be sufficient?

My next step is to add a linksys router, probably a 4 port one, their model BER41SER, i believe it is. It supports NAT and will act as a DHCP servicer if I need it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back