Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to .BTR files (Pervasive?) with CR 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterLTyler

Programmer
Apr 13, 2005
CH
I am trying to report off a database on a server. I understand the database is Pervasive. The data file extensions are .BTR (with current data) but there are also older .DAT and .ADD files with the same names.

A full search of the server does not come up with any .DDF files.

How do I open these tables in Crystal Reports 8.5? A CR native connection looks for DDF files.

An attempt to create an ODBC connection off the server gives the error "the setup routines for the Pervasive ODBC Engine Interface ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126".

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Peter Tyler

The DDF files you need are Data Dictionary Files... They define the structure of Btrieve/Pervasive.SQL files. Some of these are called:

Comment.DDF
Field.ddf
Fieldext.DDF
File.ddf
Index.ddf

.. Of which, you'll only need Field.ddf, File.ddf and Index.ddf. Ask the application vendor to supply these to you.

Once you point Crystal at these, you'll be able to use them to create reports on the database tables (i.e. the Pervasive.SQL data files)... These datafiles can have any file extension, but those .BTR files you've found sound pretty promising :p

If you need to create the DDF files yourself, you can use a DDF builder/editor such as BT Search or Pervasive's "DDF Builder" (you can get the latter free from
Hope it helps,
Stephen

Stephen King
Systems Developer and Support Analyst
Infoplex Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back