Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to an Access database with a password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushdib

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
Hi,
I am trying to connect to an Access database that opens with a password, and getting the following error message.

Microsoft Datalink error:
'Test Connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.'

Any clue?

Thanks in advance,

Rushdi

Using oleDBDataAdapter wizard, which uses the Microsoft Jet database driver.

what version of Access?
Which driver is it trying to use?

I tried Access 2000 and Access 97.
I am using Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLEDB Provider from the list
Just now I tried after creating a workgroup information file, still can't connect.
I have no problem in connecting without the password in the Access database.

check the generated code and verify the connection string the wizard created.

Do you have an your own MDW file for the password?? If you do you need to include it in your connection string.

For Jet you use the following code
Jet OLEDB:System database=path and name of .mdw file here;

If you are using the designer when you set up the connection go to the all tab in the Data Link Properties dialog. You will see an entry for Jet OLEDB:System database. Edit the value to point to your .mdw file.

Hope this helps you. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark
If you are unsure of forum etiquette check here faq796-2540

Can you please tell me what is an .mdw file is? How do I create one?

Thanks,

It's Access's security file. You can overwrite it and create your own... how I am not sure. I was just given the database and told to use it. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark
If you are unsure of forum etiquette check here faq796-2540

I created the security file (.mdw) and changed the path on Jet OLEDB:System database=

Now I can't figure out how to connect the security file with the Access application. (storing the password in the security file)

Is it just a generic password that opens the database, or is it a password that provides specific permissions to specific users?

If it is just an overall generic password, then you do not enter it on the second tab, the 'Connection' tab, of the connection wizard. Go to the 'All' tab of the wizard and enter it in the "Jet OLEDB:Database Password" property.

Jeff

Thank you, that worked. It was a generic password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back