Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

caraloca

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
CA
Hi; my daughter likes to play NEXUS (is a virtual chat world). But it can not get connect to the server. I already wrote to the thecnical people from that site but they does not what to do.
I have a firewall (sygate personnel firewall) and I already allowed the nexus program to go out, I also closed the firewall and still nothing, we tried the NEXUS software in my neighboor's pc and he can connect.
I also unistalled and install the program but no luck.
This site was closed for several months and we could connect very easy, now that is back we can't.
any ideas?
maybe if I get the ip address of the site, can I configure my firewall to connect to the server?. if yes how can I know the ip address, using my neighboor's pc?
Or maybe is a problem with ports. how can I know which port is nexus using to connect?
Thank you for your help and time

win98se

Does the firewall list the programs it has configured? Zonelalarm does. If so, try deleting the entry for this program and then connecting again. Maybe something got hosed in the settings in the firewall.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi; Thank you, that was the first thing I did (Blame the firewall)1-I checked my firewall to allow the program, then 2-I closed the firewall from the tray and also 3-from the start up items, then 4- I removed the program's entry in my firewall, nothing worked.
But in my firewall I noticed before I removed that the program instead of trying to go out "outgoing",it is marked as "incoming" with an ip address that I tried to trace but "whois" said is an ivalid address"
Now that I removed the program's entry from my traffic log, if I tried to connect, it does not appears in my firewall log.
This is really frustating.
Well, I want to thank you for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back