Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COnnecting to a secure Backend DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedel

Programmer
Jan 11, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I know this can be done, but I'm struggling with the whole relinking of database tables, connections etc etc.

Here is the situation.
I have a database FE / BE setup where the data (BE) database needs to be secured using a password. Easy enough

Now the front end needs to connect to the back end WITHOUT typing the password to access the Back end data. I have seen examples of this being done and have a database example of it, but I can't seem to grab the code and get it to work into this database.

I'm thinking that this is a fairly standard thing to do in a FE / BE situation, so I'd appreciate some help, guidance, some one to step me through how it's done?

Here is what I think is the connection code, but there are a number of these snippets in my example db:

Code:
strSQL = "SELECT * " & _
        "FROM tblUpdateSQL " & _
        "WHERE (((tblUpdateSQL.Run)=False)) order by autoref asc;"
strLocalPath = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
     "Data Source=" & CurrentDb.Properties(0) & ";Jet OLEDB:Database Password=[password here];"
rst.Open strSQL, strLocalPath, adOpenDynamic, adLockBatchOptimistic

I know this code alone won't work for me (I've tried) but it is an example of what I'm trying to achieve.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

What happens when you check "save password" when you initially link the tables?

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

AS it turns out, I discover that I did not need to enter the password. Seems that it saved into the connections in the linking process.

I am having another problem with this database now and that is trying to get it to run as an MDE file. Keep getting run time errors.

Basically, I have a splash screen open up first with an on timer event that checks for the user against the users table where the users login ID matches there Server login ID. (GetCurrentusername)

The error is something like a function can't have the same name as a macro...etc etc.

These are a pain to try and find. any thoughts or ideas to resolve this would be appreciated

"The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against whacking them around a bit."

Possibly, is "general" a saved word?

Good Site link!!! Been looking for something like that for a while. Going give that one a star. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back