Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting To A Remote Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkluk

Technical User
Aug 17, 2001
GB
Hello!

I'd like to connect an Access Project (ADP) from home to MSDE/SQL Server 7, installed on a network server at work. I've done some VBA programming with Access but this is way out of my league so I'd just like a few pointers to get started. What should I consider (IP Address, TCP/IP, firewall, router...someone get me a dictionary!!!!) and where can I find out more? If there is any reason why this is not a good idea, please tell me why. I'd like some ammunition when I go see the boss about it.

KL

I don't know you netwrok set up, and I don't know how far you can go, but it seems to me that the best solution to have remote access to resources in a LAN would be to use VPN, most vpn packages bring builtin firewalls, and support most hardware (Dialup, Cable modem or DSL), now it all depends on how your netwrok is set up, could be simpler to use a dial up connection where a phone # would be available for you to call in from your home. AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

Hi Al!

Thanks for replying. I think I'm going to have to do quite a bit of reading on all this. Can you recommend a good beginners book for someone like me? I don't even know what VPN stands for. That should give you an idea of where I stand at the moment.

Thanks again.

KL

"There's alway someone out there who knows a whole lot more than you do." - Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back