Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a remote pc without using the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I built a pc for my wifes office running Windows ME, but when she's on her days off, she would like to be able to dial into the office computer (to upload/download documents) from the home pc running windows XP without connecting to the internet just by dialing from the home pc, she wants the office pc to also detect either a computer dial in, faxes, and/or utilize an answering machine, E.G. if the pc detects a voice call, then the answering machine is activated, and if a fax tone is detected, then the software would change to recieving the fax, and if the pc detects access from another pc, then the software would change to allowing connection via a signon process. Is there such software? If so, where can I get it?

PCAnywhere supports remote connections over modem. The fax/voice/data sounds like it's beyond the capabilities of PCA, though. Get a second phone line.

We use a device called the stick. It splits out a single line. So if you are dialing in on pca then you would enter the number followed by ,,*3,,*3 and it routes you to the correct device. Here is a link to that device.

jpm121......the office has 2 lines, one for the business side and the other strictly for the computer, but as finances are at the moment, the boss can not afford cable connection yet. I've done some major web searching but all I can find is software that's a bbs under native DOS, or bbs's that are run via the internet. I have a program called 'Terminate' it works fine under windows XP, but it can not detect the modem under ME, it says that there are no UARTS, on all com ports, but the internal modem is detected and works fine under windows control. Just out of curiosity, is ther a host mode addin for hyperterminal?

Usa,

That type of program is just a terminal emulator -- you could maybe transfer a file back and forth, but that's really about it. It probably wouldn't be practical for what she's trying to do.

PCAnywhere works okay over dialup, but it sounds like since that one PC is handling incoming faxes and voice mail, it wouldn't know when to pick up. That's all I was getting at in my earlier remark.

Bospruell may be on to something, but I've never heard of or used such a device.

And I'm not surprised that WinME isn't supported -- a lot of vendors just skipped that version when developing drivers and support.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with other suggestions for you. :)

Bospruell.....How much is the stick?, I would ask on their website, but to send a query, for an email reply, I would have to send them my mailing address, NOT! (so they can send me junk mail, I don't think so), I will only send them my mailing address, if I purchase the item.

I believe it is a little under one hundred dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back