Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to a machine-local website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seilsong

Programmer
May 3, 2002
GB
I want to do some interactive Intranet site development on my local machine using a local host ( to allow external access for testing in future). I have installed IIS and can see the default W2K page when I enter or so that is working ok.
When I append the address with the folder name to which I have FTP uploaded the website, the machine tells me it is not available offline. When I hit 'connect', then 'work offline'nada happens. I have trolled through all the IIS settings, IE settings,and every other setting I can find but nothing obvious leaps out. I have made the Intranet address the default website but still no joy.

Help will be richly rewarded with benefits in the next life!!

Let me see if I understand your situation and question right.

You have a web site set up in IIS. You can reach the default pages when visiting
you used FTP to put your web site up on the IIS site and then try to access it like this and then receive an error.

Do I have this right?

If so here are the things to look at. First off did you upload to a subdirectory of C:\Inetpub\
Second, did you use default.htm as a page or have you configured what you want ot show up under the documents menu in IIS?

Third, did you check the security for the folders both from NTFS and IIS?

Lastly, if this is your local machine, why did you need to FTP the files and not just copy them?

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

markdmac
A thousand thanks. Your post was of great help.
To put you in the picture, I must do a whole lot of PHP scripting and MySQL database work on my company's Intranet site and its safer and more flexible to do the development on a local machine ( you can work on it on the train!!)

I had uploaded the site to in the IIS Inetpub folder, and set up the local folder path and documents correctly.

The problem lay in the security permissions. I ran through all the folders both from IIS and NTFS and sorted out the appropriate permissions and lo and behold.....instant connection.

By the way...I used FTP to upload simply to test my FTP application config.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Regards
Seilsong

Glad to be of service.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back