Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a Local Printer across Active Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulleh

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
US
Ok, I have an old dot-matrix printer hooked up to a Windows XP professional box, and the printer is shared and the "add this information to the directory" is checked. It prints fine locally.

When I search for printers on another network machine, it shows up. When I try to add it, it asks for my username and password. I type it in (I'm a domain admin), and I get the following error:

"Windows could not connect to the printer, this operation could not be completed."

I have added the "everyone" group to the printer share, as well as the "Domain Users" group. I've also tried creating a local account with sufficiant rights, but still no dice.

Can anyone help me out?

Check if have a added drivers for different versions of Windows (if you are using different versions of Windows in your network).

Another clue will be Windows XP firewall.

It is the same version of Windows running on both machines (XP) and the firewall is disabled on the XP machine with the Printer attached.

With the network user, enabling / disabling the firewall had no effect. I think its a credentials / login issue.

I am assuming that you have this set up in a domain, (since you are a domain admin).

Are you sure that both machines are actually connected to the domain. Usually, when you are prompted for credentials, you are crossing over environments (either domain, or individual workstations). You can verify this by entering a user/password combination that is locally created on the XP machine when prompted. If if allows you in, you have an issues with your domain setup.

Both machines are connected to the domain. What's also strange is that I can't map to the client machine to access it's shares, however I can map to other machines on the domain and access their shares.

Any thoughts?

Right click My Network Places > Propreties > right click Local Area Network > Properties > check File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Network >click Advanced Tab > Windows Firewall > Settings > OFF.

When you install SP2, the firewall is switched on, which wont hinder normal AD based services, but will stop file and print sharing.

A very common problem is people not checking File and Print Sharing, and Firewall configuration.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Does this enable the setting for the entire network?

Ok, I made sure that File and Print Sharing is installed for both terminals, as well as disabling the firewall on both XP machines, and still - no dice.

can this problem ever be fixed? :(

Is it worth removing the workstation from the domain and readdding it? Maybe the computer account is out of sync.

May be worth starting with the basics.

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Can you ping between the two machines?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back