Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjwallace

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
GB
I have created windows 200 server. and it is running ok *well I thought it was* I changed the password in AD for a user on my home network. when the user goes to log in she receives an error message unable to change password as home-system is unavailable *Home-system is my domain* from the server I can ping the work station ok. Next I decided to remove the work station from the domain and then reconnect. this did not work either. I get an error message unable to find a domain controller or I get failed to connect to network

Any ideas what's going on?

I did disable net bios as this could be seen from the internet, could this be the problem?

any help would be much appreciated

W2K uses DNS for host name resolution. The client may be able to ping the servers ip address but does the name get resolved? Try ping the server using the server dns name. If this fails check your workstation dns settings.

What happens when you sign in? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944); French aviator and writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back