Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBall2003

Programmer
May 30, 2003
US
I am very new to php and sql, let's say about 2 days of reading the PHP4 Bible. I have previously only worked on MS Access as my only database knowledge. I have a temp database in my companies localhost folder
this is the pathname to where the db is
G:\FoxServ\mysql\data\mball_db

how do i use the function mysql_connect() to connect to the database i know it's a very simple queston but then that means a very simple answer
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

mball

I don't think your question can be answered as asked. You have made a number of incorrect assumptions.

First, a little background. MySQL is a database server (like Microsoft SQL Server), not a database application (like Access or FoxPro). You connect by to a database host by IP address, not to a database file by filesystem name.

Do you have the MySQL database server installed and running?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

You first need to create a MySQL database. The server was installed with Foxserv but you need a database. To establish a database in MySQL, consider installing phpmyadmin on your web server.

For easy administration without the restrictions of HTML layout in phpmyadmin, consider managing your MySQL database with MySQL-Front. This freeware program has been discontinued but can be still found at:

You can begin to worry about connecting to MySQL with PHP after you set up a database.

- - picklefish - -

ooops - it looks like you may already have tinkered with phpmyadmin as part of foxserv. Try this...

Code:
<?php

$Host = &quot;localhost&quot;;
$User = &quot;root&quot;;
$Password = &quot;&quot;;
$DBName = &quot;mball_db&quot;;
$Link = mysql_connect ($Host, $User, $Password);

$Query = &quot;SELECT * FROM mball_db&quot;;
$Result = mysql_db_query ($DBName, $Query, $Link);
while ($Row = mysql_fetch_array ($Result)) {
print (&quot;$Row[one_of_your_field_names]<br>\n&quot;);
}

?>

- - picklefish - -

try using ADO. u can use the ASP code in PHP!!! (with minor modifications of coures)

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back