Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to 2nd database - not an option

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
One of my users can not connect to one of our databases.
She's running XPsp3 connecting to SQL2000.

On the front-end, she uses a construction program. After username/password, she selects the DB to connect to and go. As of recently, she can still see all databases, yet no matter which one is selected, it takes here to the main database every time.

At first I thought something w/the ODBC drivers and settings changed. Looking through, all appeared normal. To ensure all was still working, I created another connection. Tested it. Works fine, as it connects to the database we are trying for.

Trying to rule out what it might not be, I had her login from another PC. She's able to select the 2nd database and login just fine. All information shows as it should, so I'm thinking that ruled out any possible user rights/privledge issues.

In addition, she works with some Excel spreadsheets that have their datasources pointed at the 2nd database. Similar to the construction program, it pulls information from the original database (not the second one as selected).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

SQL has a concept of "user mappings" that might be important to you. Basically, each database has a list of users that can access it. You may need to add this woman as a user to the database in question.

Also, if you want to change the default database that a particular login sees, change the user mappings for that user to accomplish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back