Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Symmetrix 3830 to Emulex under XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadCapeland

Technical User
Nov 12, 2003
US
I've successfully connected my machine to the 3830 with W2K, but not under XP Pro. Emulex.com doesn't list XP drivers, but their tech support hints that it can be done, but they can't tell me how, because tech support can't tell me anything that isn't supported. Understood.

Has anyone tried to connect to a Symmetrix with XP Pro with either an Emulex or some other HBA? My application is forcing me to upgrade. I know the rest of my setup is fine since it works under W2K.

- Chad

I have not personally done it but I can tell you that EMC will not support you using that configuration either.

Personally, XP-Pro is not an upgrade for Win2K

I guess the other question would be, has anyone configured an HBA to connect to a Symmetrix directly or through a ED-1032 without using EMC approved drivers? Just using plain vanilla fibre channel. Is there anything to watch out for?

- Chad

I did use the EMulex driver (not the specific for EMC)... it does not work very good, I mean you can see some LUNs, but you get trouble to see all devices ok, you can have I/O events, etc. and Symm boxes has special flags depending on OS to connect, so specific drivers are done to recognize them and use it as must be. I don't recommend that.

Cheers.

If a config works for Clarrion equipment, would it also work for Symmetrix? Or are they too different?

- Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back