Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

computercare

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I would like to know why the connecting speeds are different? I was using a Pentium II 166 processer and I could pull 48,000 bps running Windows 98, I then upgraded to a Dell 8200 with a Pentium 4, 2.53 ghz processer running XP Pro and now the speed is 33,600 bps. Is there a setting that I don't have right? The modem in the Dell is a 56k pci telephony modem.

There are lots of reasons why you do not connect at the speed your PC will allow. Things like yor cable between you and your ISP. That might be copper wire or fibre optic: each transmit differently. Then you have extension cables; they add to the length and also resistance.

You could try increasing your modem speed by installng a modem accelerator. A very easy one one to use is EasyMTU; here's the link:

This may help you, but to answer your original question, yes you can tweak settings and improve performance but this small programme will do it for you.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back