Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting SharePoint 2007 to SQL Server 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthNone

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
I've connected lots of VB and Access front-ends to SQL Server back-end databases and it has been very easy. Is it also easy to connect SharePoint to a SQL Server back-end database?
TIA
NorthNone
P.S. we have MOSS

SharePoint runs off a SQL backend. All of the SharePoint data is stored in SQL Server. You cannot setup SharePoint without first connecting to SQL Server.
When you run through the setup of a serverfarm using the SharePoint configuration wizard, it asks you to name an instance of SQL Server to connect to.

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

Thanks, Carl. It would be better said that from an existing SharePoint site (which resides on a SQL backend), I would like to display from a different SQL Server database via a WebPart data.

Sorry - I misunderstood what you were looking for.
You could look at using the business data catalog along with the BI web parts to display data on your pages.
You could also build a custom web part which queries the data and returns it to the web part.

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back