Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Router to T1 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumanzero

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
I have a fractional T1 connection coming into my home. The way that my network is setup right now has my servers and Linksy routers connected into an Intel switch and from the switch to the T1. However, I am wanting to redesign the network (eliminate old/useless equipment and add some new stuff) by taking a BEFW11S4 router straight into the T1 and then having the switch and everything else plug into the router. I have been trying all day to make this happen but no matter what I do I can't get anything to connect to the internet when I have the router straight into the T1. Everything works fine when everything goes through the switch to the T1, but not with the router. Is there anything that could be causing this problem? I have all of my business information stored on servers and I can't risk having them offline for very long, so I can't simply unplug everything and figure this out the hard way. Thanks.

Did you connect the BEFW11S4 to the T1 via the WAN port?
Also, depending on the hardware of the T1, you may have to use a crossover cable between them.

Linksys BEFW11S4 does not have a T1 interface. I have not heard of a Linksys model that does.
In case you are trying to plug in T1 line into WAN port on the Linksys - you cannot do that, it will not work.
The way I understand you configuration - your Intel switch has CSU/DSU built in. If you want to replace it, you will need a device that has CSU/DSU.

BTW, is your Intel switch a LanRover?

Good luck.

But this is a regular ethernet switch. It does not have T1 interface. Are you sure you are using T1 connection? If yes, there has to be a device that has both T1 and ehternet connection.

If this switch is working connected to the fractional t1, then your telco provider is supplying you with an ethernet output. The switch works because its ports are auto sensing and will make the correct polarity connection to it. The linksys wan port is not auto sensing. All you need is a crossover cable between the t1 port and the linksys and it will work.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify about the T1 connectivity. There's a box (dunno the name of it) that takes the T1's fiber lines and outputs it as ethernet. If there was a way to take a picture of it and post it on here I would. That'd make things a lot easier. But it seems that what billo4th says is right. I'm gonna go pick up a cable tomorrow and try it.

I got a crossover cable today....no luck though. I still get no connection when I plug my router in with the crossover.

You will still need a CSU/DSU. Look on ebay for a Adtran...they are relatively cheap.

In the future everything will work...

I am not sure how much you work with this, trumanzero, so I have to ask this: are you sure you tried cross-over cable and not roll-over?
Do not get offended.

Good luck.

No offense taken. Usually the little, simple mistakes are the ones that happen most...such as when I forgot to plug my hard drive back in and thought that I formatted the wrong one...but that's another topic.
BOKA:
Yeah, I did indeed have crossover and not rollover. It simply didn't work. I plugged it into different ports and everything to make sure, still no luck though.
NX01:
I was under the impression that since the current switch I have doesn't have CSU/DSU either, lack thereof with the router wasn't the problem. However, Adtran's stuff is a lot more inexpensive so if it's a CSU/DSU problem at least I'll be able to afford the fix. I'm not familiar much with fiber connectivity, so what exactly would I need? I've found a few wholesale sites selling Adtran equipment but I don't know which one to go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back