Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting router to serial port for configuration!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkeeeee

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
GB
hi...

iv just bought 4 routers, i cant seem to get ANY logging info up on my screen on hyper terminal. I dont know what i seem to be doing wrong, Please help.

Hyper terminal configuration i used:

1.9600 baud rate
2. 8 data bits
3. 1 stop bit
4. no flow control

cabling:

1. management cable supplied by cisco - roll-over shielded rj45 to serial.

routers: 4x1600 & 1x2500

They are all having the same problem.

i hope the above information eliminates unusable solutions.

Cheers
sharkeeeee

to get logging info in hyperterminal, you need to type in 'term mon'. logging info by default only goes to the console.

D

um, 'term mon' is 'Terminal Monitor'...

D

hi again....

the problem is i dont get NOTHING on the screen, i dont know weather it is a physical layer problem or the way im connecting the router..

i think its something simple, i am new to cisco routers.

no one can help me???

I would go find a new db9 to rj-45 adapter, that could be the problem, or it could be a bad serial port on your computer, also, you are hitting the 'enter' key once you connect correct?

BuckWeet

your setup looks right, make sure you are using com1, but that should be default. you might try 2 stop bits. make sure you are using the blue cable and the db-9 adapter marked 'terminal'. open hyperterminal, and go to the 'call' menu, and make sure you are connected...

D

same problem here no clue to what i am doing wrong. sharkee did you figure out what was wrong yet ??

is there a cisco device detection program (i.e. cisco device scanner) that will probe cisco devices using snmp?

There is possibility that baud rate of the router was set to something different to 9600, and if that is the case you will not see anything with hyper term, so best thing to do is to change the baud rate to any of the other speeds and go through all of them till you find one that works, if that is not the problem there's a good chance it might be hardware problem
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be content with being average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You said you bought 4 routers. Have you tried all the DB9 to RJ45 converters & all the cables ? I can suspect one of them to be bad & not all of them. I would check my com port next by connecting a serial device (mouse etc.)

What OS are you using? I had to get an enhanced version of Hyperterm on my Win2K platform.

In the hyperterm properties, goto configure com port, under flow control try chaging that to none.

Be serious and start from begining.
Start with 2500 and connect cable to CONSOLE port on it.
Open hyperterminal, set it to any from 4800 to 38400,8, none,no control, direct to com port you plug DB9, and make sure the status line shows connected.
Does any led on back side of 2500 light green. If not, then power supplay is brocken.
Now power 2500.
Does any led on back side of 2500 light green.?
If not, then power supplay is brocken.In few seconds you must have some characters on the screen.
If you do not receive nothing, then the com port, or DB9 or crosover cable are wrong. ( change one by one, includin computer you are using)
If you have garbage, it is ok, then start to change baud rate to next value, until you receive meaninigfull text.
Good luck
Miroslav

I've had this problem too - the weird thing is, it used to work! I've now tried it on 3 different Cisco devices and 4 different boxes - 2 Compaq servers (NT4) and 2 NEC servers (W2KAS)using Com1 and Com2 with 2 different cables and RJ45 adapters but nothing. I then plugged my laptop (W2K Pro) in and it worked fine. This is really bugging me because I want to leave a cable connected to one of the servers so we don't have to take a laptop into the computer room everytime we want to modify the routers / firewalls... Anyone got any ideas?

There is a program "Cisco TERM" .. you can search for it on cisco web-site.. to avoid SPEED problems (different baud rate on router and hyperterminal)...

Also, sometimes Windows NT has problems connecting to routers...

Hi there, I've managed to sort out my own problem with this - it would appear that the Cisco devices don't ground out the console port properly and somehow some residual charge (static maybe?) builds up which prevents the connection.

I found that if I switch off and then disconnect the power cable from the cisco device, reconnect and power back on it works again.... Very spooky but it does the trick.

Tried this on 3 different Cisco boxes now and all seem o.k.

Hope this helps you guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back