Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting router to router, for a VPN, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhope

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hi,

I have flowpoint 2200 that works find for our network. I want to connect a linksys BEFVP41 to create a VPN. We have static ip addresses and have mapped public ip to a private
ip that we what to use with the Window XP VPN client.

I connected everything up, link lights all indicated the connections were good. Then I put in the linksys the WAN ip that is used for the gateway to the flowpoint and assigned a static ip to the linksys so it is on the same network. Next I created the VPN on the XP station and plugged in the ip address of the public ip addrress that is mapped to the private ip.

When I try to connect I get, "error 800 login failed."
I looked up the error and said it has to do with the firmware needing to be up graded. As part of the trouble shooting I had my ISP try to ping the addrress I assign to the linksys and found they couldn't get a reply. So I am stuck, it would seem the connection to the linksys and flowpoint are not correct, even though I am getting a link light and on the same network. Any Ideas????

What is your firmware verion and date on the router? You should see it right at the Setup tab. The latest is 1.40.4, Nov 21 2002

Also another way to trouble shoot is you just allow ANY/ANY on the "Remote Secure Group:"/"Remote Security Gateway:" section and then initiat the connection from your flowpoint 2200

hope2help

There are quite a few ports and some protocols that need to be enabled between the Flowpoint and the Linksys, see in particular the latter half of this document:

An 800 error is a connection failure error, and is indicative of a firewall issue more than a firmware one.

Hi dHope!

BEFVP41 supports IPSec for tunneling. If your flowpoint 2200 is asking for a username and password when you login thru VPN, then it would probably be using L2TP tunneling and would not be able to connect with your BEFVP41.

One solution if you want to connect your computer thru VPN is by using Window's IPSEC. Well do hope the instructions on this would be able to help you regarding your VPN Problem.

Go to Linksys.com>setup>knowledge base>Type "VPN">Configuring IPsec Between a Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP and the BEFVP41

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back